A blog about general entertainment, fashion, and movies. And some random stuff too.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Top 5: On-Screen Couples

Throughout my life, there have been a few on-screen couples that I just couldn't get over. Be it their on-screen chemistry, or the pictures of them together on the red carpet I found while cyber-stalking them, the following list is of duos that not only stole each others' hearts on film, but stole mine as well. Mostly, I judged this list based on the impact the film couple had on me as well as their off-camera chemistry. I love for my favorite celebs to interact well off-screen, too. Enjoy! And beware: may be image heavy.

Obviously this is a personal favorites list, so your ideas may differ, and I'd love to hear some of your favorite couples in the comments. Who did I leave out?! Let me know!

Top 5 Best On-Screen Couples

#5. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling
Movie: The Notebook


As one of the most romantic movies of all time, The Notebook has rarely failed to bring most red-blooded, breathing girls to tears at some point during its traumatic plot. Beyond this, it has also rarely failed to make most girls swoon over the very delicious and desirable front-man playing Noah, Ryan Gosling. However, I'm sure many of them were upset to find out that Rachel and Ryan were actually an item in real life! I, on the other hand, was NOT among the girls who were upset about this. I loved to see that beyond Ally and Noah, a real love story had begun and these two GORGEOUS individuals had started dating! Gah, if ONLY they had stayed together long enough to get married and make an army of beautiful children to unleash in Hollywood! Alas, they did break up, but they got back together for a short while after their first run of about 2 years. Maybe one day they'll come to their sense once again and bless this world with yet another round of beautiful paparazzi photos, and a new movie staring them, together, and in love once more.

#4. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal
Movie: Brokeback Mountain

I saw this movie the December it came out with a few of my friends. I didn't know what to expect going into it. The reason I went was because of all the Oscar buzz it was getting, but what I got out of it was much, much more. Many people look at this film and only see 'the gay cowboy' featurette, but to truly understand and appreciate it, it has to be viewed with an open mind, and beyond that, an open heart. It's not one of those movies that tries to shove something down your throat, but it does show you a new perspective that maybe you haven't thought of before, and it presents a beautiful story about love, choices, and consequences that will leave its mark. It certainly did leave a mark on me.

And furthermore, it left a mark on these two amazing actors who portrayed Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar. One of the reasons I just KNEW I had to put these two on my list was because of the bond they forged because of the experience they had in filming this movie together. Jake and Heath became like brothers. In fact, Jake was the godfather to Heath's baby girl, Matilda. When the news broke that Heath had passed away, it was reported that Jake was inconsolable for days. A role, a movie, that can bring two friends together in such a way, even beyond the message it brings its viewers, is truly special. The movie was, these characters were, and these two men are.

#3. Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor
Movie: Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge was one of those films that helped me realize what a film nut I truly was. This movie came out when I was a sophomore in high school and the first time I watched it was so intrigued, but so confused, that I didn't really know what to think about it in either direction. All I knew that I had fallen completely in love the first time Ewan McGregor opened his mouth to sing. And Nicole, le sigh, NICOLE was a vision with DEEP red hair and beautiful porcelain skin. I think it was the first time I ever had a girl-crush. If I could have been anyone in any role, I would have chosen her. I got to know these two actors through many viewings of this movie, and it is for this reason that this couple has ended up on my list. Beautiful and talented!

#2. Keira Knightley and James McAvoy
Movie: Atonement
Out of all the men Keira has been in films with, the only one that has really stood out on his own next to her was James McAvoy. Atonement was a movie that really meant a lot to me. I waited for almost 2 years for this film to come out and I had such high hopes. Not only was it special to see Keira in this role, but the beautiful and tragic story along with the amazing way it was presented really made this movie hit me pretty hard. The love story between Ce and Robby was so heart-wrenching and honest that it actually sucked me into their story, and helped me to forget that I had originally gone to see this film for Keira alone. Their chemistry on film was obvious, but it was also their antics off-screen that put them on this list at #2. They were beautiful and in love on screen, but in interviews and in photoshoots they were playful and hilarious!

PROOF OF AWESOMENESS! Watch this video! It's adorable. The words are a little off from their mouths, but whatever. It's great.

#1. Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio
Movie: Titanic, Revolutionary Road
When I was 11 I fell in love with Leonardo Dicaprio and very much wanted to be Rose from Titanic. I had the Titanic poster up next to my magazine clippings of Hanson and JTT. (Hanson a Dicaprio are the ones that stuck, just FYI.) I used to write "I 'heart' Leo" all over my binders and notebooks at school. I had it bad. And I still do. Leonardo Dicaprio is one of the most awesome actors alive today, and Kate Winlset is no different. Their careers were set in motion by Titanic, but their talent has taken them to where they are now. Needless to say that it was the biggest on-screen reunion for me when Leo and Kate joined back up to film Revolutionary Road. And of course they both brought their A-game, as if they could help but be completely awesome.

But off-screen it was clear that they were both very good friends. In fact, Leo bought Kate a ring and had it engraved. She won't let anyone know what it says but Matty and I had a few speculations:

Me: Leo got her a ring after Rev Road and had it engraved and she won't let anyone know what it says. HOW PRECIOUS IS THAT? They should have a love child.
Matt: Hahaha "You should've just married me, b*tch."
Me: Please Lord let that be what it says.
Matt: Amen.

After the recent news that Kate Winslet and her hubby of 7 years have split, I couldn't help but think "OH MAH GOD, KATE, GET WITH LEO NOW!" Sure he's with some sort of Victoria Secret model, but it's KATE. And they've CLEARLY had a connection for over a decade. I believe that they'll eventually come to their senses and realize they're in love and get together officially and FINALLY. And THEN the most gorgeous and talented children WILL be had!

Honorable Mentions

Gene Kelly and Judy Garland
in Summerstock

Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom
in Elizabethtown


Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer
in True Blood
Sarah Chalke and Zach Braff
in [SCRUBS]


Don't forget to comment your favorites! Love to hear your thoughts!

8 comments:

  1. Easy pick: Marion Ravenwood and Indiana Jones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post :)
    My favourite is the Brokeback Mountain one. Of course not because of its gayness, really. I love their chemistry in that film, and yes, it has lots of meanings.

    On an obviously not related topic, RDJ and Susan will always be my OTP ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we'd been friends in sixth grade. I would've put the Twilight-loving teens of this generation to shame with my Titanic obsession. Seriously. I read every book I could get my hands on, movie or historically related. I bought every magazine (I still have that collection, somewhere). I named my cat Josie Roe (my own twist on Jack+Rose). Leo and Kate. Jack and Rose. Best on-screen couple, in my opinion. Watching Titanic still makes me a little crazy... I think it was the foreshadowing for the obsessions of my future... HP, Twilight, etc. Love this post! Can't wait to see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucia, YES! RDJ and Susan totally WIN and if I did a Top 5 of actual Hollywood Power Couples, they'd be my #1!

    Meagan, TOTALLY. I had EVERYTHING Titanic that I could find. Even this weird puzzle model that you put together and it creates the ship. It came with a history book about it. And I made my dad sit and watch this 2 hour long documentary on PBS about it. It still fascinates me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well since I am partial to old movies I'll share a couple from that time period.

    Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn - so many movies together and they always played off each other perfectly. Also helps that they were like best friends in real life too.

    Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant in Charade - I love this movie so much that its hard for me to be impartial but I think theyre awesome together too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha! Interaction win.

    Kate and Leo will hook up I'm sure. If they don't...I will seek her out myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the exact same way about Leo and Kate. I told my husband that if he ever cheats on me, I'm gonna find and hook up with Leo and he said "but you said he'll really in love with Kate" and I told him I would rather him be with Kate than me. :p

    ReplyDelete