A blog about general entertainment, fashion, and movies. And some random stuff too.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Movie Review: The King's Speech

I went to see this movie with my mother over Christmas break because I knew that we both love Colin Firth. There aren't many women who can resist him as the original screen-Mr. Darcy in the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice. Also, after his Oscar nomination last year and all the buzz for his role in The King's Speech for this year, I knew I just HAD get on board. (It's been my goal to not fall down on the job this year and actually see as many Oscar movies as possible. I've done well so far!)

I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie because I hadn't read up on it. I only knew that Helena Bonham Carter was also in it and had some Oscar buzz of her own. Also, somewhere along the line, I heard Geoffrey Rush was in the movie, but I had forgotten that fact until he appeared on screen. (It was quite a happy surprise. I think I may have squeaked in excitement.) This movie was SUCH a delight. It is a period drama, but the history and stress of the surrounding plot is secondary to the human story. This is truly a story about a man who has to overcome a huge struggle and defeat his fear. In doing so, he is able to be the man he needs to be, but also he makes a life long friend. It's very inspiring, and when the credits rolled, I had felt so many emotions throughout: amusement, sadness, empathy, and triumph. It was truly a joy to watch.



Colin Firth's performance was mesmerizing. Of all the actors who could fit in the "Best Actor" category this year, my vote is for Firth to win. He is my personal favorite for that. But the thing that really kept the movie going was the chemistry between Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Those two together are what make the film so enjoyable and make it easy for us to relate to and love these characters. Not to mention, their banter is hilarious. I would suggest that anyone who wants to see a truly awesome performance and a nice, inspirational film should rush to the theaters to see this one before it is gone. And if it is not near you, Netflix it as soon as you can.

4 comments:

  1. I think this might be my favorite movie in a long time and I saw 4 over the holidays. Love, love, love Collin Firth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove Collin Firth and hate Helen Bonham Carter. Hmmmm. Is he worth it? Is she in it much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is worth it and SHE is awesome. You may just have to suck it up and go. Because it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What made this movie so special for me was that it as much as one could classify it as a "run of the mill inspirational period drama", I think it transcends that genre stereotype. It's about human relations and human relationSHIPS. It expresses the friendship of two men so honestly and with such wit. It doesn't toy with your emotions. It's the kind of film I feel happy about calling "an inspirational drama", because that's what it is. It's not phony, or preachy. It just tells a good story and tells it impeccably.

    ReplyDelete