A blog about general entertainment, fashion, and movies. And some random stuff too.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Top 5: Favorite Holiday Movies

It's that time of the year! And every Christmas, I set aside time for each of the following movies. Maybe you will agree. If I leave one off that you enjoy, tell me in the comments!

Elf
This movie is probably on so many people's lists for the holidays, but it's no wonder. Maybe the most adorable role Will Ferrell has ever been in, Buddy the Elf captures the same attitude of Christmas we all had as kids. And there is nothing more fun than a clay-mation Narwhol. 

Love Actually
I absolutely ADORE this movie. I usually wait to watch it during the holidays with the friend I saw it with originally (MELISSA) to keep it special, however, I really want to watch it throughout the year, too. With as many British all-stars as you can fit into one movie, it's no wonder this movie is so entertaining, but also it has a message that is refreshing and sweet without being cheesy. Perhaps my favorite line from the movie is from the beginning: "When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."

Muppet Christmas Carol
This story has been done SO many ways. I don't know anyone who hasn't heard or seen some sort of version of Dickens' classic story, however, of all the ones that exist, this one is the best, hands down! I get tired of this story REALLY quickly, but for some reason, no matter how many times I watch this version...  I never tired of it. I love it.

Just Friends
I've actually cheated and watched this throughout the year. But it's especially necessary to watch this one during Christmas time. This is one of the funniest Christmas movies I think I've ever seen. There are Christmas songs in this movie, that when I hear them in real life on the radio or something, I laugh out loud. It was my first brush with Ryan Reynolds and I've never looked back, haha!

Lord of the Rings
Yeah, yeah this isn't ABOUT Christmas, but whatever. When I was in high school, I couldn't wait for the next Lord of the Rings movie to come out in theaters. It was always the weekend of December 16th that they were released. Now, every single December I block an entire Saturday off and I sit down from 8:30 in the morning and watch the Extended Editions of all three Lord of the Rings until about 11 at night (if you factor in meals and bathroom break times, it can take that long). It's the BEST. I started this yearly marathon in college my sophomore year when I realized I really wanted to chill out before exams. I organized it into a campus-wide thing and one of our professors let us into the projection room so we could all watch it together on a big screen. There were usually about 25 of us and we were all in our sleeping bags and PJs all day and it was glorious. And it has been every year since. And will be every year in the future.




Now tell me your favorites in the comments! And don't forget you can "like" my blog on Facebook. Just click "like" in the Facebook box to the right!

7 comments:

  1. I have to say, the new A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey and Gary Oldman is really superb. I know it's been done a million times, but I think it might be my favorite version. I also like the Ron Howard version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas... and then there's White Christmas, which is probably the best Christmas movie ever. Oh and The Polar Express.. Wow, I should make my own list hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it Matt! And I was not impressed with that version. I don't really care about the story that much at all so... the muppets make it cuter. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sooo happy that Muppet Christmas Carol made your list. My family watches it every year. Its not Christmas without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a holiday tradition for my family to watch Muppet Christmas Carol. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what, that whole Lord of the Rings marathon sounds badass. I may just do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just did it. I am emotionally exhausted, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE Muppet Christmas Carol!!!! So much win for including that on your list.

    And LOVE ACTUALLY! Ah! <3 The holidays is my favorite time to watch that movie. Planning to do it soon!

    And of course Elf. That movie is just a lot of fun.

    Some of my favorites are The Holiday, Polar Express, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I also always get in the mood for The Nightmare Before Christmas for both Halloween and Christmas... :-)

    ReplyDelete